What is the diabetes?
herbs for diabetes 2 : We call diabetes the group of metabolic diseases that affect the way our body uses blood sugar (glucose). According to the “International Diabetes Federation”, there are currently approximately 387 million people suffering from diabetes on our planet, of which 90 percent suffer from Type 2 diabetes.
There are 3 types of diabetes: Type 1, Type 2, and gestational diabetes.
- Type 1 diabetes: The pancreas does not make enough insulin. The exact cause is unknown but there are several factors that favor its development (genetics, exposure to certain viruses, vitamin D deficiencies …).
- Type 2 Diabetes: Occurs when cells do not respond properly to insulin. Among the factors that increase the risk of contracting type 2 diabetes, the most common are obesity, excess abdominal fat, a lifestyle with little activity, genetics, age, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, high triglyceride levels …
- Gestational Diabetes: Gestational diabetes only affects women during pregnancy.
The most common symptoms behind high blood sugar include: frequent urination, increased thirst or hunger, unexplained weight loss, fatigue, slow healing, and frequent infections.
Apart from the medications that the doctor may prescribe, there are also natural remedies in the form of herbs and spices (mostly) that can help us both to alleviate these symptoms and to control the levels of sugar in our blood. Here we share the top 10 remedies to treat and prevent diabetes.
Top 10 Natural Remedies for Diabetes
Cinnamon contains bioactive components that stimulate insulin in addition to helping us lower blood sugar levels. Cinnamon is especially suitable for people with type 2 diabetes.
- You can take 1-2 grams of cinnamon a day in the form of tea or infusion. We can also sprinkle it on top of our meals or even use it for cooking.
- Another option is to take cinnamon supplements. If you prefer to take it in supplement form, it is advisable to consult a doctor about the appropriate dose for your condition.
Note: If you take any type of blood thinning medication, it is not advisable to take cinnamon.
Ginger has anti-diabetic, lipid-lowering, and antioxidant properties, which are beneficial in controlling blood sugar levels. Ginger can also improve our insulin sensitivity, reduce oxidation, and even improve cholesterol levels. It also helps you lose weight.
A study on complementary therapies published in a medical journal found that daily consumption of 3 1-gram capsules of ginger per day for 8 weeks was found to be beneficial for patients with type 2 diabetes.
- Drink 2-3 glasses of ginger tea a day.
- Add fresh and / or dried ginger to our recipes.
- The other option is to take the ginger in the form of supplements after consulting with a doctor.
Turmeric has anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties that help people with diabetes control blood sugar levels, thus reducing the complications that this disease can bring.
Studies carried out have shown the important role that turmeric can play in treating diabetes and other associated disorders. It has also been shown to be very beneficial in controlling kidney problems caused by diabetes.
- Add raw or powdered turmeric to our kitchen.
- Tomar un suplemento (después de haber consultado con un médico).
Garlic also helps people with diabetes maintain healthy blood sugar levels. thanks to its anti-diabetic and lipid-lowering properties. It also contains blood sugar sulfur compounds that protect against oxidative damage and high cholesterol.
- Take 2-3 raw garlic a day on an empty stomach
- Add garlic to our kitchen or take a supplement after consulting with a doctor.
5.- Fenugreek or garlic
Fenugreek is an herb that can be used to control diabetes, improve glucose tolerance, and lower blood sugar levels thanks to its hypoglycemic activity. Furthermore, it also stimulates glucose-dependent insulin secretion.
Being rich in fiber, it also slows down the absorption of carbohydrates and sugars.
- Soak 2 tablespoons of fenugreek seeds in water overnight. Drink the water along with the seeds in the morning on an empty stomach. Follow this remedy for a few months to lower the glucose level.
- Another option is to take 2 tablespoons of powdered fenugreek seeds daily in a glass of milk.
6.- Aloe vera
Aloe vera gel helps lower blood sugar levels. Contains phytosterols that have hypoglycemic properties. In addition, its high fiber content helps the body to use glucose effectively and thus eliminate excess sugar from the blood.
- Drink a glass of aloe vera juice prepared with 2 tablespoons of aloe gel twice a day to help regulate the flow of insulin and lower blood glucose levels naturally. We can also apply the gel externally on skin infections to reduce inflammation and irritation.
- The other option is to take aloe vera in supplement form (having previously consulted with a doctor).
7.- Korean ginseng
Korean ginseng is good at controlling blood sugar levels after meals. It also increases insulin sensitivity and helps metabolize carbohydrates.
- Drink 1-2 glasses of ginseng tea a day.
- Alternatively, we can take 1-3 capsules of 500 mg of ginseng per day for two months (but only after consulting with a doctor).
Note: People who have hormonal or related problems should avoid this herb.
Oregano is another herb that can help prevent and treat high blood sugar levels. The polyphenols and flavonoids in oregano also help fight inflammation.
- Add a few drops of oregano oil to a glass of water or juice and take once a day.
- Alternatively, we can have a glass of oregano tea a day.
- We can also sprinkle dried oregano on our salads and soups.
9.- Curry leaves
Several minerals within the curry leaf help maintain normal blood glucose levels. In addition, it positively influences carbohydrate metabolism.
- Chew several curry leaves a day in the morning on an empty stomach.
- We can also add curry leaf powder to our salads and soups.
10.- Mango leaves
The delicate and sensitive leaves of the mango can be used to treat diabetes by regulating insulin levels in the blood.
- Dip 10-15 mango leaves in a glass of water overnight. In the morning filter the water and drink on an empty stomach.
- We can also dry the leaves in the shade and crush them. Take half a teaspoon of mango leaf powder 2 times a day.